Sometimes the simplest of foods are so nourishing and tasty, it's hard to believe they're made with just a few ingredients. This pasta recipe with sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and fresh chopped basil combines to become far greater than the sum of its parts and is an absolutely fantastic vegetarian and vegan pasta dish.
And what could be easier—artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes can be popped out of a can and tossed on a plate of pasta to take a dish from ordinary and everyday to gourmet. To make this dish even more impressive, add the tiniest of a balsamic vinegar drizzle at the end, use roasted red peppers instead of fresh, and swap freshly made pasta for the dried boxed kind.
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red pepper (diced)
- 1 jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, or about 3/4 cup dry (rehydrated and drained)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (drained well and coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 box bow tie pasta, cooked according to package instructions (salt the water when cooking for the best flavor)
Sautee the minced garlic in olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the red peppers and allow to heat for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and basil and allow to cook until heated through, stirring frequently, for about 2 to 3 more minutes. Do not overcook, as you'll lose the good fresh flavor from the basil.
Toss with cooked pasta and serve.
- Drain ingredients well to avoid a watery pasta dish. Place the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes on a paper towel and gently press the artichoke hearts into a colander with a wooden spoon to remove the liquid.
- Top off your pasta with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Or, sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese (for those who eat dairy) or nutritional yeast (for vegans).