This asparagus au gratin recipe is made with cheese, asparagus, walnuts, and cracker crumbs.
The casserole makes a fabulous side dish, and it's very easy to prepare and bake. The chopped walnuts make the cracker crumb mixture crunchy and flavorful.
Related Recipe: Asparagus Casserole with Cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups cooked chopped asparagus
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter; stir in salt and flour. If desired, add 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
- Cook the flour mixture for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk while stirring.
- Add shredded cheese and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine cracker crumbs with the melted butter and chopped walnuts; toss to blend. Reserve a few tablespoons for topping.
- In the prepared casserole dish, place a layer of asparagus, a layer of cracker and walnut mixture, then a layer of sauce.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the reserved crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is nicely browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||54 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|