This simple combination of asparagus, cheese, and bacon makes a tasty side dish that will go with just about any main dish. Or use it as a building block for a fabulous brunch egg dish. Arrange the cooked asparagus over a thick slice of buttered toasted bread, top the asparagus with the cooked bacon, and then with a poached egg. Spoon cheese sauce over the egg and season with salt and pepper.
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded American or mild Cheddar cheese
- Cut each strip of bacon crosswise into three pieces. Fry or bake the bacon until crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- Put a steaming basket in a medium saucepan with one to two inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add the trimmed asparagus to the basket, cover the pan, and steam for about 5 to 6 minutes, just until the asparagus is crisp-tender. See also: How to Cook Asparagus Five Ways
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour and stir until the roux is well blended and smooth. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk to the roux. Cook until thickened while stirring constantly.
- Add the salt and cheese to the thickened sauce; continue to cook until cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Pour the sauce over hot drained asparagus and top with the bacon pieces.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|