This asparagus-pea soup recipe is made with two iconic spring vegetables. Its vibrant green color, achieved by not overcooking the veggies, makes it a real standout, especially in a white bowl. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 pound peas (fresh and shucked)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, hot)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan saute onion in butter or oil until tender but not caramelized. Add asparagus (reserving the tips for garnish) and peas.
- Add hot broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree in a blender (in batches, if necessary), leaving it somewhat chunky.
- Season to taste and warm, if necessary, but no further cooking is necessary. Serve garnished with a crouton, dollop of sour cream and a few asparagus spears.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|