This simple vegetable mixture is cooked in the slow cooker. It's a mixture of root vegetables, including potatoes, onion, and carrots. Celery is added for the extra flavor along with chicken stock or vegetable broth. The recipe calls for ham, but you may leave it out if you'd like a meat-free dish.
For a faster dish heat the chicken stock before you begin cooking. You may cook it on high for about 3 to 4 hours.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock or low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed ham or sliced smoked sausages
- 1 can (13 ounces) evaporated milk
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Put the potatoes in the slow cooker along with the chopped onion, sliced carrots and celery, chicken stock, parsley, butter, and ham.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Gently stir in evaporated milk during last hour.
- If desired, thicken during the last 20 minutes with a mixture of about 4 tablespoons of flour and 4 tablespoons cold water.
Posted by Mellisa.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|