"Fabada Asturiana" or Asturian bean and sausage casserole is a typical and very traditional dish from Asturias, made with beans, sausage, ham, meat and tomatoes. It is a perfect dish for winter, satisfying and warming.
- This Asturian Bean and Sausage Casserole recipes makes 6 servings.
- Pour beans into a large pot or bowl and cover with cold water. Soak the beans, ham and bacon overnight.
- The next day, drain water from beans. Place beans in a large pot of cold water with the garlic, onion and bay leaf. Place on stove and turn on high. When the water comes to a boil, add all the other ingredients.
- Cover the pot half-way and simmer for 2.5 to 3 hours, cooking until the beans are tender. After approximately 1.5 hours, add the saffron threads and paprika.
- Taste the fabada and add salt if necessary. Because sausage and bacon are salty, you may not need to add any salt.
- Cut the sausage, bacon and roast into serving-size pieces. Serve in soup bowls with bread.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|