|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 30g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
As the hot toddy and Irish coffee have proven for years, warm drinks are best when constructed in a simple manner. This autumn chai swizzle is another shining example, though in this case, you'll be working with fresh-brewed chai tea.
The recipe comes from Baileys Irish Cream and the concept is very straight-forward. Essentially, you'll use the Irish cream liqueur as a creamer and brown sugar as a sweetener for a steaming cup of chai. It is a low-proof drink that is easy to make and can be a fantastic replacement for your afternoon chai.
2 ounces Irish cream
3 ounces brewed masala chai tea
2 teaspoons raw sugar
Cinnamon stick, garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Brew a pot of chai tea. Stir in the raw sugar until it is completely dissolved.
Fill a coffee mug with the chai tea and Irish cream.
Stir with a cinnamon stick, then leave it as a garnish. Serve and enjoy.
- If you are familiar with masala chai, you will know that milk and sugar are often added during the brewing process. However, when making this swizzle drink you're already adding cream (Baileys) and sugar so this seems like overkill. Therefore, it's best to either compile your own chai spice blend or use a prepared chai tea bag and brew that, holding the milk and sugar
- You can try the drink both ways to see which you like best. The full milk-sugar brewing of the chai does make a very rich autumn chai swizzle and it will likely be too much for many tastes.
- Raw sugar looks like brown sugar, but it has a lighter, natural molasses flavor and coarser texture. It's also called turbinado, muscovado, or demerara sugar.
- Chai is not the only tea that works with Baileys. Use the Irish cream to gently spike any cup of tea you're brewing. It's also a really nice creamer option for coffee.
- Want to give your chai an extra kick? Add half a shot (about 1 ounce) of brandy, rum, or whiskey to this recipe.
- Raw sugar is not a requirement, though it is a really nice fit for chai's spice blend. Use your favorite tea sweetener, whether that be agave nectar, honey, white sugar, simple syrup, or a sugar alternative like Stevia.
How Strong Is an Autumn Chai Swizzle?
Baileys is a light liqueur that's bottled at just 34 proof. When mixed into the autumn chai swizzle, the resulting cup of tea will have an alcohol content of just 7 percent ABV (14 proof). That's not a significant strength, but it is stronger than adding just a splash of Irish cream as many people do in their coffee. Just keep in mind that it's about the same as drinking a strong beer.