If you’ve ever made avocado ice cream then you know that it’s Just Not Weird At All. It’s in fact delicious. The avocados, which are technically a fruit, have a very mild -- yet rich -- flavor, and a very creamy – yet rich – texture. There is nothing about avocados that doesn’t make sense with sweet ingredients versus savory – it’s just that most of us have only experienced avocados in a savory context, such as guacamole, or a salad, and so on.
I spent one insomnia-ridden night thinking about other green foods that I would like to see matched up with avocados in ice cream, and green tea was the winner. And I’m telling you, this ice cream was just so great. I think I would add a bit more lime juice next time, and another time I would also try some chopped crystallized ginger. And the color – what do you ever call this green? I bet J. Crew would come up with something good. Lichen. Spring Leaves. Verdant. Oh, wait, I have it: Green Tea Avocado.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 green tea bags
- ¼ cup ginger syrup or honey
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Bring the water and the sugar to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the tea bags and steep for 15 minutes. Remove the tea bags, stir in the ginger syrup or honey, then cool the tea, and put in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh into a blender. Add the chilled tea-sugar mixture, lime juice, milk, and cream and puree until smooth.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, press a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the mixture and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, and up to 8.
- Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately, or store it in the freezer for up to 1 day. Storing it in the freezer will create a harder texture.
What's the secret to the perfect scoop of ice cream?
Use a metal ice cream scoop and dunk the spoon in warm or hot water first. This will make your ice cream easy to scoop even if it's frozen hard.
Whatever you do with your avocados, here's a trick for Cutting Avocado Neatly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|