Avocado toast may have started as a super trendy food, but the breakfast item looks like it's here to stay. It's not hard to see why: crispy whole grain bread and mashed avocado pair incredibly well together, creating the perfect crunchy, creamy bite. The possibilities for toppings are also endless! This basic recipe was inspired by the original avocado toast from New York City's Cafe Gitane, but we've included several variations here to help take your toast to the next level.
Click Play to See This Avocado Toast Recipe Come Together
A hearty multigrain bread works best for avocado toast because it holds up underneath the thick mash and has tons of great flavor to add to the mix. But if you don't have any multigrain, feel free to use whatever loaf you have on hand. Lemon juice is an essential ingredient—not just to keep the avocado from prematurely browning, but also because the citrus boosts the overall deliciousness.
Gather the ingredients.
Toast the bread slices to your desired level of crunchiness.
Prepare the avocados right before you are ready to eat. Cut, pit, and remove the avocado from its peel. Mash them with a fork until you have your desired level of texture. Mix in the lemon juice as you mash. A fork works best but you can also use a mortar and pestle if you wish.
Divide the avocado mixture between the two slices of toast. Drizzle olive oil over the top of each slice. Add a sprinkle of the red pepper flakes and salt to each piece and serve immediately.
- Greek Avocado Toast: Lemon juice, crumbled feta, and sliced cherry tomatoes combine to make a salty, tangy garnish that pops with a hint of sweetness.
- Mexican Queso Fresco Toast: Queso fresco is another irresistible crumbly and salty cheese that pairs perfectly with mashed avocado. Add a sprinkle of chili powder and a dash of lime juice to give your toast a little Mexican flavor.
- Poached Egg: Everything's better when you put an egg on it, including avocado toast! A squeeze of hot sauce and sea salt make this everything you want out of breakfast.
- Creamy Sriracha, Radish, and Scallion: For extra crunch and a spicy kick, add sliced scallions, radishes, and a drizzle of Sriracha mayo.
- Everything Bagel: Sprinkle a little Everything Bagel Seasoning on top before serving.
- Tomato Basil Balsamic: Transport yourself to the Italian coast with some beautiful sliced red tomatoes, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and shredded basil leaves.
- Garlic: Rub your multigrain toast with a cut garlic clove before topping with the mashed avocado.
- Guacamole: Top your avocado toast with guacamole instead of your basic avocado mash.