- 1 large eggplant
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- For the Garnish:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake eggplant for 30 minutes, or until outside is crisp and inside is soft.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut open eggplant and scoop out the flesh into colander and allow to drain for 10 minutes. Removing the excess liquid helps to eliminate a bitter flavor.
- Place eggplant flesh in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mash together. You can also use a food processor instead of by hand. Pulse for about 2 minutes.
- Place in serving bowl and top with lemon juice and olive oil. Add other garnishes according to taste.
- Serve with warm or toasted pita or flatbread. Enjoy!
Garnish Ideas for Baba Ghannouj
Baba ghannouj always has to have olive oil on top for garnish. However, you can spice things up a bit by adding crushed red pepper, a dash of cumin, parsley or coriander.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|