This easy Caribbean rum-soaked cake recipe starts with a yellow cake mix and instant pudding. The crowning touch is soaking it in Bacardi dark rum.
Rum was a driving factor behind the Caribbean’s economy, history, and culture. By the late 17th century, a thriving export trade developed.
Not only is the alcohol used for cocktails, but it is also used for preserving and cooking, too. Almost every major Caribbean island group produces its distinct style of rum. This recipe calls for Bacardi rum, but you can use your favorite brand.
Make the Cake
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and 1/2 cup dark rum. Mix by hand or an electric mixer until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool 20 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Transfer cooled cake to a serving platter. Using a fork or toothpick, prick the top of the cake to form small holes that will absorb the rum glaze.
Make the Rum Glaze:
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in the water and sugar.
- Slowly bring the sugar-butter mixture to a light boil and cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Remove the sugar mixture from the heat and stir in the rum.
- Allow the glaze to slightly cool before glazing the cake.
- Drizzle and smooth some of the glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Allow the cake to absorb the glaze and then repeat until the glaze is gone.
- Serve the rum cake as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped heavy cream.
You Also Might Like
- Caribbean Christmas Cake Recipe: This cake is known variously as black cake, wedding cake, and great cake made with aged rum-soaked fruits. It's a special dessert served at Christmas, weddings, christenings, baptisms and significant anniversaries.
- Polish Rum-Soaked Babka Recipe: This yeast cake is soaked with a rum syrup and is a traditional offering for the Easter holiday.
- French Baba au Rhum Recipe: This yeast cake features orange, and lemon zest and vanilla has been added to the rum soaking syrup.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|