This simple yet decadent bacon and butternut squash grilled is perfect for the changing of seasons! Sautéed butternut squash, crispy bacon, and melted gouda come together between two buttery toasted slices of bread to create a sweet and savory sandwich that highlights the beautiful flavors of Fall.
To see step by step photographs visit grilledcheesesocial.com.
- For the Butternut Squash:
- 1/2 tbsp bacon grease
- 1/4 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped butternut squash
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- For The Sandwich:
- 1 cup of shredded gouda
- 3 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled (grease reserved for butternut squash above)
- 2 tbsp sauteed butternut squash (recipe above)
- 2 pats of real salted butter
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Fry 3 pieces of bacon in a pan.
- Leave the bacon grease in the pan and turn the heat to medium. Add onions and saute until they begin to caramelize.
- Add chopped butternut squash, brown sugar, salt and pepper and close the lid. Let cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Set aside.
FOR THE SANDWICH
- Begin by placing half of the shredded gouda onto one slice of sourdough bread. Next, add the butternut squash and then crumble the cooked bacon on top of the cheese.
- Add the rest of the shredded gouda and finish by adding the the other remaining slice of bread to the top. Butter the exterior of the sandwich and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized cast iron skillet or panini press over medium-low heat and add in the buttered sandwich. Let the sandwich cook for a few minutes on one side until the crust has become a golden brown color and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Once one side is ready, gently flip the sandwich and repeat until all the cheese has melted and the other side is as toasted and crisped up as side.
- When the sandwich is ready, remove it from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||219 g|
|Saturated Fat||141 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||58 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|