These savory stuffed mushrooms are filled with a mixture of bacon, cream cheese, and breadcrumbs.
The cream cheese brings the mixture together, but the bacon is the star. Top the mushrooms off with shredded mozzarella, cheddar, or Parmesan cheese just before they're done baking. The mushrooms pictured were finished with a topping of mozzarella cheese.
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 4 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Optional: shredded cheese for topping
- Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems; set aside.
- Bake the bacon or fry it in a heavy skillet. With a slotted spoon or spatula, remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. In the bacon drippings, saute the chopped onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- In a bowl, combine the bacon mixture with the softened cream cheese. Press mixture firmly into the mushroom caps, mounding a bit.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Turn the filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the breadcrumbs to coat tops.
- Place in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Add the 1/4 cup of hot water to pan and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
- If desired, top each mushroom with a small amount of shredded mozzarella, cheddar, or Parmesan cheese and return them to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 dozen stuffed mushrooms, depending on the size.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|