This easy breakfast casserole recipe is prepared the night before. Just take it out of the refrigerator and pop it in the oven in the morning. It's an excellent holiday morning meal or Sunday breakfast or brunch.
Feel free to use fresh chopped onion or green onion in the casserole or leave it out. The casserole may be spiced up with pepper jack cheese, and the bacon may be replaced with about 8 ounces of browned sausage or diced ham.
- 4 slices white bread (crusts removed)
- 4 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion (or 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion or green onion)
- 8 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 cup/4 ounces mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the bread in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, dry mustard, and dried minced onion.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle bacon over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- To test, insert an instant-read thermometer in the center of the casserole. Eggs should be cooked to a minimum of 160 F.
- Let the breakfast casserole stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|