This simple recipe for Bacon Cheese Soup takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. And the flavor is fabulous. It's bacon ... and cheese. What's not to love?
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (13-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- In a large saucepan, sauté bacon until crisp over medium heat, turning frequently. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from saucepan. Add butter to saucepan along with carrots and onion. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until crisp tender, stirring frequently.
- Add flour, mustard, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add both kinds of milk and cook until soup has thickened a bit, about 10 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in crumbled bacon and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|