This easy and delicious recipe takes just minutes to make. There are only five ingredients in this recipe (not counting oil, butter, and seasonings), but it tastes like so much more than the sum of the ingredients. Sautéing the chicken breasts in bacon fat adds a ton of flavor. Then the chicken is topped with tender onion, garlic, crisp bacon, and cheese and baked to tender perfection.
You can use chicken thighs in this recipe if you'd like, but increase the number to two to three per person. The baking time may also increase too. Always bake chicken to 165 F as measured with a reliable meat thermometer.
Serve this fabulous dinner recipe with hot buttered pasta or hot cooked rice. A nice green salad tossed with mushrooms and tomatoes would be an excellent side dish, as would roasted asparagus or green beans. You could also serve a fruit salad on the side.
Make extra of this easy recipe - it doubles well - and use the leftovers (bacon, onion, cheese, and all!) in creamy bacon chicken pasta. Yum.
- Cook the bacon in a 12" skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Let the bacon cook on the first side until it releases easily from the pan, then turn it. Turn the bacon often as it cooks after that so it cooks evenly. When the bacon is browned and crisp, remove it from the skillet and put on paper towels to drain. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Pour most of the bacon grease out of the skillet, but don't wash or wipe it. Add the butter and olive oil to the skillet.
- Sauté the chicken breasts in this mixture over medium heat, turning once, until chicken is almost cooked and just barely pink in center. The internal temperature should be 150 F. This should take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the chicken in an ungreased 13" x 9" glass baking dish.
- Then cook the onion and garlic in the drippings remaining in the skillet. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 to 6 minutes, then stir in the salt, pepper, and cooked bacon.
- Spoon the onion mixture over the chicken breasts in the baking dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||87 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|