Kids love anything with bacon. (Let's face it: Most everybody loves anything with bacon.) This cabbage recipe is a favorite among kids because the cabbage is wilted in bacon drippings, then tossed with bacon and a little sugar and salt. The result is a side dish the whole family will enjoy.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and chopped into bite-sized strips
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon. Fry until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, leaving bacon drippings in skillet. Add onions to the skillet. Cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook, turning frequently with tongs, until cabbage is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Toss with bacon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|