You can use a Boboli® crust, or make Yeast Crust and use half of it for this easy and delicious recipe for Bacon Pizza. For less fat and sodium, you could use 1 cup chopped Canadian bacon instead of cooked strip bacon, or add some pepperoni. True bacon loves may want to use both!
The bacon has to be cooked to a crisp consistency for this recipe, otherwise it will become too soft in the sour cream sauce and cheese. You can certainly add more bacon if you'd like!
I always like to prebake my pizza crust before I add the toppings. If there's one thing I can't abide it's a soggy pizza crust. If you make your own dough, or if you buy some from your local pizza place or use pizza dough from a tube, roll it out and prebake it. Your pizzas will be much better.
For a while I used a pizza stone, but then I decided that the pizza was just fine without that extra work. A pizza stone has to heat up for a long time in the oven before it is hot enough to use. I find that pizzas get crisp and crusty baked on a thin metal cookie sheet.
You can use other cheeses in this easy recipe. Havarti, Swiss, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack for a bit of spice would all be wonderful. In fact, you might want to double this recipe and make two pizzas! They'll go fast.
- 1/2 Yeast Crust Recipe OR 1 Boboli® crust
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 to 1 poundbacon (cooked crisp, drained on paper towels and crumbled)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or Muenster cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 425 F. Make and prebake yeast crust if using. Prebake the crust for about 5 to 7 minutes even if you buy one from a pizza place. No need to prebake Boboli® crust.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onions and garlic until tender, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add paprika and flour and cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add sour cream, thyme, and marjoram leaves and cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in mustard.
- Spread this sauce over the prebaked crust and top with bacon and cheeses.
- Bake at 425 F for 9-15 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into squares or wedges and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|