A cheese ball on the table is perfect for just about any get-together. Not only are they fun to eat, but so easy to make and serve. Add bacon into the mix and now we are really ready to party!
Everyone knows that bacon makes everything better. These sweet, salty, smoky, crunchy morsels can be mixed into so many dishes and tantalize the taste buds. That's why this appetizer is always a crowd pleaser.
Here all you have to do is combine some cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, pimientos, hot sauce, chives, ranch dressing mix and, of course, bacon, and you have a creamy, crunchy and delicious mixture. Once the cheese ball is rolled in chopped pecans, there is another level of texture and flavor that your guests will swoon over. No one will notice the other appetizers once this cheese ball hits the table and becomes the star of the party.
- 2 (8-ounce) packages block-style cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (1-ounce) package ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 1 (8-ounce) package thick-cut bacon (crisped and crumbled)
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimientos (drained)
- 1/4 cup chives (minced)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (or to taste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Crackers or crudités (for serving)
Gather the ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and ranch seasoning mix until smooth.
Add the crisped bacon, drained pimientos, minced chives, hot sauce, Kosher salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
Form the cheese mixture into a ball and roll in the chopped pecans.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm and set.
Serve with an assortment of crackers and crudités.
There are a few different options when it comes when adding the crisped and crumbled bacon to a recipe.
- Stovetop: One of the most common ways to crisp bacon is on the stovetop. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool completely. Once cool, roughly chop the bacon and set aside.
- Oven: Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 15 minutes or until golden-brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and cool completely. Once cool, roughly chop the bacon and set aside.
- Fully Cooked Bacon: If you are short on time, it is also possible to purchase a package of fully cooked bacon in the grocery store. In that case simply chop and stir into any recipe.