This delicious bacon-wrapped meatloaf is enhanced with grated natural Parmesan cheese, Cajun spices, and a tasty barbecue sauce glaze.
I like to use candied brown sugar bacon to coat the meatloaf, but you can skip the brown sugar and use plain, partially cooked bacon strips.
- 4 strips lean bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, optional
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk or whole milk
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line a rimmed baking pan with foil; lightly oil the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the bacon strips in half crosswise and coat them with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, if using. Arrange the bacon on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until almost crisp. Remove the bacon from the oven and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, pork, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, Cajun seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and the milk.
- Put the ground meat mixture on the prepared foil-lined baking pan and shape into a loaf.
- Spread barbecue sauce over the loaf and arrange the bacon strips over the top.
- Bake the meatloaf until the bacon is crispy and meat loaf is firm, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. If unsure, check the loaf with an instant-read food thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf.**
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing or moving to a serving platter.
*The minimum safe temperature for ground meat is 160 F (71 C) and the minimum safe temperature for ground poultry is 165 F (74 C).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|