01 of 05
Avocados, we've come to know and love them in our salads, in our guacamole, and on our sandwiches. But what about as the base for a meal? While they make a wonderful topping to most dishes, we like to believe that they can stand alone as the star ingredient during meal time.
That's where these baked avocado eggs come into play. They are super simple to whip up any day of the week, require minimal cooking tools, and are great to take on-the-go.
Here are the basics:
Continue to 2 of 5 below.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Remove the pit and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the avocado out of the center. Remember to go wider, rather than deeper so the egg will cook more quickly. Try to choose larger avocados for better results.
- Place the avocado halves into small round baking dishes, like a crème brûlée or au gratin dish. This will prevent the avocados from tipping over. Then place those dishes on a sheet pan.
- There are two different ways to add the egg: crack an egg directly into each center and let the extra egg white overflow, or crack the egg into a bowl and place the yolk in the center and then top with just enough of the egg white. Either way will produce great results.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the egg white is completely cooked. The egg yolk may appear to be totally solid, but often underneath the surface it is still a little runny and delicious.
- Top with your topping of choice!
02 of 05
03 of 05
Tomato, Goat Cheese, and Cilantro
This fresh and healthy version is another great option to make. Chop up a few cherry or grape tomatoes and then mince cilantro. Top it all off with some fresh goat cheese crumbles for a salty and tangy kick. Then, serve some sourdough toast on the side and scoop some of the avocado, tomato, and egg goodness on top!Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Huevos Rancheros is the up there as one of the ultimate, most satisfying breakfasts you can eat. It's salty, spicy, crunchy, and creamy. It's even better when it's served inside of an avocado!
Cook the eggs according to the first step, but when it's almost done, top each avocado half with a tablespoon of refried beans and a sprinkling of shredded Mexican-style cheese. Finish baking and then remove from the oven and top with hot sauce, salsa, or taco sauce and some crumbled tortilla chips!Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
The Complete Breakfast
This version is a filling, complete breakfast all in the shell of an avocado. With bacon, eggs, avocado, potatoes, cheese, and hot sauce, all you need is some toast on the side to make this the ultimate breakfast.
In the microwave or in a pan, partially cook 2 strips of bacon, until they are slightly cooked but not crisp. Then microwave 4 or 5 frozen tater tots until defrosted. After you scoop out the avocado, add a piece of bacon into the well. Then top with the egg. Then break up the tater tots and sprinkle them over the top of the egg. Place them in the oven to bake.
When the eggs are almost done, top with some shredded cheese of your choice and finish baking. When you remove them from the oven, add a dash of hot sauce and dig in!