A cheesy biscuit topping gussies up this casserole of beans and hot dogs. The baked beans get great flavor from barbecue sauce and some chopped vegetables along with mustard and brown sugar. Sliced hot dogs make these doctored beans a hearty one-dish meal.
Frozen "Grands" biscuits and some shredded cheese make up the topping for the pictured casserole, but if you prefer to use homemade, by all means, feel free to make them from scratch. Or use this recipe for buttermilk biscuits or this one for pepper jack biscuits.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper, green or other colors, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large can (28 ounces) baked beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 hot dogs, sliced
- 6 frozen biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the cooked onion and pepper mixture to a bowl. Add the beans, barbecue sauce, mustard, brown sugar, pepper, salt, and sliced hot dogs; stir to blend. Spoon the bean mixture into the baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the frozen biscuit rounds and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and beans are bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||31 g|