Sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast taquitos are a spicy, cheesy, and portable breakfast that will get you out of your boring breakfast slump!
Breakfast Taquitos are full of spicy eggs, cheese, sausage, and peppers and onions all rolled into corn tortillas! They are super easy to make ahead of time and pop in the microwave when you are ready to start your day. Or you can make them for a Sunday morning breakfast or for a brunch to feed a crowd. There are fewer calories than the fried alternative because they are baked! You can fry them if you wish, they will be more calories but also a little crispier.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 medium onion (or one small onion, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- Optional: 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack/cheddar blend cheese (shredded)
- For Serving:
- Sour cream
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Add the olive oil and breakfast sausage to a skillet, brown the sausage until almost completely cooked. Add the red and green bell peppers and onion along with salt. Allow them peppers and onions cook for a few minutes, until they are slightly softened, stirring frequently.
Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the taco seasoning and hot sauce to the eggs.
Gently pour the beaten eggs over the sausage and pepper mixture while the pan is on medium heat. Cook until eggs are soft, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Make sure not to overcook them!
Microwave the corn tortillas for about 30 seconds or until they are soft and pliable. Make sure the tortillas are fresh so they will not crack when you roll them.
Divide the filling between the tortillas. Sprinkle each with an equal amount of cheese. Roll each tortilla tightly and place seam side down on the baking sheet.
Spray each tortilla lightly with cooking spray and add a sprinkle of salt.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Think about adding bacon, spinach, chipotle peppers or other Mexican seasonings.
- You can also change the type of sausage! Spicy chorizo tastes amazing in this recipe!
- You can also try different cheeses like a queso fresco or other cheddar blends. All you really need are eggs, tortillas, and cheese, the rest is up to you!
If freezing, cool completely and then freeze on a baking sheet. After they have frozen, transfer them into a larger plastic freezer bag.