A simple cheddar cheese sauce makes these sliced cooked carrots extra special. Serve them along with a Sunday dinner or holiday meal. Fresh breadcrumbs give this casserole a nice look and crunch, but French fried onion rings would make a nice topping as well.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (peeled and thinly sliced, about 5 cups of 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (sharp, shredded)
- 1 pinch ground mustard
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fresh and soft)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine the sliced carrots, water, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until bubbly and smooth. Add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and the ground mustard. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Gently combine the sauce with the carrots and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, toss the fresh bread crumbs with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the carrot mixture.
- Bake the casserole at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned. To brown the topping more, turn the oven setting to broil for a minute or two.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|