This baked chicken and rice casserole is made with cooked diced chicken. Peas and celery add color and texture to the dish, while cheese makes it a satisfying one-dish meal.
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 (10oz) package frozen peas, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar or American cheese
- Heat the oven to 375° F (190° C/Gas Mark 5). Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, celery, 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes; add peas and cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan or skillet. Saute chicken for about 1 minute; mix with the rice.
- In the same saucepan in drippings, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, the flour, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbling. Gradually stir in the milk. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and gently boils for about 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over the chicken rice mixture and gently stir to blend ingredients.
- Transfer to the buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 20 minutes.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|