|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 croquettes (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||46%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Croquettes are typically breaded bundles of vegetables or meat held together by a thick white sauce or béchamel and deep-fried. But in this version, the chicken croquettes are shaped, breaded and baked, making them lower in fat than traditional deep-fried croquettes.
Prepare these easy chicken croquettes a few hours ahead of time, so the mixture will have plenty of time to chill and firm up before being formed and baked.
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken (finely chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups fine dry bread crumbs (divided)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes without browning to make a roux.
Gradually whisk in the milk and broth; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
Remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the chopped cooked chicken, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and eggs. Mix well. Add the cooled sauce; stir to blend thoroughly. Cover and chill for about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4. Combine the Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
Shape chicken croquettes mixture into about eight 2 1/2-inch balls, then pat to form oval shapes.
Roll shaped croquettes in bread crumb mixture, to coat.
Arrange the croquettes in a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter and drizzle over the chicken croquettes.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with white sauce and mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
- This basic recipe for oven-baked croquettes can be varied in any number of ways. They're prime candidates for leftover cooked meats. Try making it with leftover turkey or ham with grated Swiss cheese instead of Parmesan and add finely minced red onion or shallots. Leftover roast beef and pork roast have a place here, too. Let your creativity be your guide.
- If the lower calorie load of baking instead of frying is what drew you to this page, try oven-fried chicken drumsticks or oven-fried chicken breasts with garlic.