|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Croquettes are typically breaded bundles of vegetables or meat held together by a thick white sauce or bechamel and deep-fried. But in this version, the chicken croquettes are shaped, breaded and baked, making them lower in fat than traditional deep-fried croquettes.
Prepare these easy chicken croquettes a few hours ahead of time, so they'll have plenty of time to chill before baking.
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken (finely chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups fine dry bread crumbs (divided)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes without browning.
3. Gradually whisk in milk and broth; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
4. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, combine the chopped cooked chicken, 1 cup bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and eggs. Mix well. Add the cooled sauce; stir to blend thoroughly. Cover and chill for about 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Combine the Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
7. Shape chicken croquettes mixture into about eight 2 1/2-inch balls, then roll to form oval shapes.
8. Roll shaped croquettes in bread crumb mixture, to coat.
9. Arrange the croquettes in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
10. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the chicken croquettes.
11. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
You Might Also Like