This baked chicken with peaches makes a tasty family meal for any night of the week. The tangy orange and honey sauce combined with the peaches and lightly fried chicken is surprisingly tasty and a very easy preparation.
I used skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs in this recipe, but whole chicken legs or chicken breasts may be used. If you need to keep the dish low in fat, remove the skin. If you use boneless chicken breasts, check for doneness around 25 to 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F.
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Alternatively, put the flour mixture in a paper or plastic food storage bag. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or deep heavy skillet; brown chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate and discard the excess fat in the skillet. If the skillet is oven-safe, return the chicken to it. Otherwise, place the chicken in a baking dish. If you do remove it to the baking dish, pour about 1/4 cup of the orange juice into the pan and place it over medium-high heat for a few minutes to deglaze. Scrape up all of the browned bits. Pour the orange juice over the chicken.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice, honey, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Pour the mixture over the chicken pieces. Cover the pan or baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Add the drained sliced peaches to the pan and bake for 5 minutes longer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||56 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|