In this easy chicken and spinach bake, the boneless chicken breasts are simply baked on a bed of spinach with a tomato and green onion topping.
The dish is also easy to adapt using your family's favorite ingredients or the ingredients you have on hand. The tomatoes and onions are easily replaced with mild or medium salsa or picante sauce. Or use a 14.5-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes.
- 12 to 16 ounces spinach (fresh; washed and chopped)
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (kosher)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 chicken breast halves
- Creole seasoning blend to taste (or Cajun seasoning blend or another seasoning blend)
- 1 large tomato (cored, seeded, and diced)
- 4 green onions (with green, sliced)
- Optional: Grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or spray the pan with cooking spray.
- Put the fresh spinach in the baking dish and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth.
- Place the chicken pieces between sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly, just until they are even in thickness.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend and pepper. If the seasoning blend is salt-free, sprinkle the chicken lightly with kosher salt. Arrange the chicken over the spinach and then sprinkle with the diced tomato and green onion.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the chicken and spinach for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked a temperature of at least 165 F.
- If desired, top the chicken and tomato mixture with fresh grated Parmesan cheese or shredded mozzarella about 5 minutes before the dish is ready.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the Creole or Cajun seasoning with spicy blackened seasoning.
- Top with about 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese 10 minutes before the dish is done.
- Top the chicken with Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Make the dish with bone-in chicken pieces with skin. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, skin-side down. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the skin is browned. Turn and brown for 2 minutes longer. Arrange the chicken pieces on the spinach, skin-side up. Bake as directed, above, but bake for about 30 minutes after the foil is removed (or until the chicken reaches 165 F).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||70 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|