This baked chicken with tomatoes is an easy, earthy dish, an excellent choice for a family meal. It's reminiscent of a rustic chicken cacciatore, or hunter-style chicken. The chicken pieces are coated with seasoned flour and browned, and then they're baked with the tomato and mushroom mixture.
Add some extra heat to the dish with crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne. If you like Italian flavors, add a few minced garlic cloves and a teaspoon of dried oregano. Or add about 1/2 cup of bell pepper to the skillet with the onions and mushrooms.
The recipe calls for chicken parts, but feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs in the recipe.
Serve the chicken with spaghetti and garlic bread. It would be fabulous with rice or potatoes as well.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, optional
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper; dredge chicken pieces in the mixture. Reserve the excess flour mixture.
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-low heat; brown chicken pieces slowly, until golden brown. Remove chicken to a baking dish or covered oven-safe Dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, brown mushrooms and onions. Stir in the reserved flour from coating the chicken. Add tomatoes and bay leaves, blending well.
- Cook the tomato and mushroom mixture for about 4 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add some chicken broth.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken in the Dutch oven. Cover the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|