This is an easy and great tasting recipe made with chicken breasts, zucchini, and tomatoes, cooked in dry sherry and topped with gooey, melted cheese. You can use mozzarella cheese, Cheddar cheese, or a combination of both. Fontina cheese would be very good as well. This hearty but healthy chicken dish is perfect over pasta or rice. Pair with a simple tossed salad for a complete and satisfying family meal.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts (4 chicken breasts or cutlets)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini (halved and sliced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry (or white wine or chicken broth)
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (or use about 2 cups diced fresh tomato)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or Cheddar cheese or a combination)
Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C).
Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
In a heavy oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil; add chicken pieces to hot oil, turning to brown both sides. Remove chicken to a plate.
Add the zucchini and mushrooms to the pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Add chicken pieces back into skillet. Pour sherry over all; cook another 4 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper; top with tomatoes.
Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for about 25 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Top with shredded cheese and bake just a few minutes until melted.
Serve this tasty chicken over hot cooked pasta with a salad.
- If you and your family enjoyed this dish, you might want to try this chicken and zucchini skillet with pasta; the recipe combines purchased Alfredo sauce with a bit of Cajun spice to add a creamy twist with a kick to this chicken and vegetable bake.
- This is the type of recipe that adjusts well to changes and additions. You don't care for mushrooms? Then leave out.
- Sliced eggplant would be delicious in this baked chicken dish.
- Make this recipe healthier and lighter; skip the cheese at the end—no one will miss it.