Nothing beats the flavor of traditional Crab Rangoon, but, if you're not comfortable with deep-frying, here is an easy to make alternative in which the wonton wrappers and cream cheese are baked, and then the cream cheese is served as a dip with the crunchy wonton chips.
- For the wonton wrappers:
- 24 Wonton wrappers
- Optional: five-spice powder, as needed
- For the cream cheese dip:
- 8 1/2 ounces crabmeat (drained if using canned meat, and flaked)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon red onion (chopped)
- 1 to 2 green onions (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Dash black pepper (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick spray.
Combine the cream cheese and crabmeat mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
Take a wonton wrapper and lightly dust it with the five-spice powder if using (about 1/8 teaspoon). Cut the wonton diagonally so that it forms 2 triangles. Continue with the rest of the wrappers. Cover the remaining wrappers with a damp cloth so that they don't dry out.
Arrange the wonton wrappers on the baking sheets. Place in the stove on the middle rack, and bake until they turn brown (5 to 6 minutes). Remove and cool.
Place the cream cheese in a medium-sized baking dish. Bake until the cream cheese is heated through and just starting to bubble (18 to 20 minutes). Remove and serve immediately with the wonton chips for dipping.
- If desired, also serve hot mustard and/or sweet and sour sauce for dipping.