These baked curried chicken breasts are super easy and flavorful. Serve them over hot cooked rice with some peas drizzled with a bit of honey for an excellent meal. The sauce for this recipe is just excellent. It's mild and rich, rather like Mughlai curry, a traditional Indian dish.
You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe. Just use 12 thighs and increase the baking time by about 8 to 10 minutes. Always cook chicken to 165 F as registered on a reliable food thermometer for food safety reasons.
You can add other spices to this recipe if you'd like. Curry powder is a blend of many spices, including cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. But you could add more cinnamon, coriander seeds, nigella seeds, or other spices according to your tastes. Other vegetables would also be good. Surround the chicken with some chopped celery, sliced green beans, or mushrooms to make this a one-dish meal.
Serve this easy recipe with a crisp green salad or a fruit salad to complement the rich sauce in addition to the peas and rice. For dessert, a lemon or chocolate pie would be the perfect finishing touch.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter and olive oil over medium heat and heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the curry powder to the saucepan; cook and stir for 1 minute. This helps bloom the spices in the curry powder and enhances the flavor.
- Then add the flour, salt, and pepper to the saucepan; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Stir until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the raisins.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise. Place the uncooked chicken in the prepared pan. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and move it around in the sauce so the bottom is coated. Sprinkle the chicken with the coconut.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Serve over hot cooked rice or pasta.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||91 g|
|Saturated Fat||34 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|