These baked fish fillets are topped with a simple seasoned crumb mixture. The buttery crumbs add flavor and crunch to the baked fish, and they help keep the fish moist as it bakes. Feel free to season them with an herb blend instead of the dried thyme. A salt-free herb blend is an excellent choice.
My family loves haddock in this recipe, but it is delicious with tilapia as well. Or use cod or pollock fillets or another mild white fish. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the fish, so adjust accordingly.
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Wipe the fish fillets with a damp cloth. Sprinkle both sides of the fish with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place in a shallow greased baking pan or on a greased broiler rack.
- Mix bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of the butter and the dried thyme. Sprinkle over fish and drizzle with remaining butter.
- Bake the fish in the preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until fish is flaky and the bread crumb topping has browned lightly. The time depends on the thickness of the fish. Baking time can vary greatly. Check very thin fillets, such as sole and flounder, after about 12 minutes.
- If the crumbs have not browned, broil the fillets for a minute or two, just until golden brown.
- Serve the fish fillets with lemon wedges and garnish with parsley.
*Other white fish, such as flounder, sole, or cod, may be used in this easy fish recipe. Baking time might vary depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Fish fillets often have a "tail" or end that is narrow and thinner than the rest of the fillet. If the fillet is uneven in thickness, tuck thinner ends under to make the fillets more uniform so it will bake evenly.
- There are a few ways to test fish for doneness. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a fillet will read 145 F when the fish is done. Or insert a fork about halfway into the thickest part of a fillet. The center should flake when the fork is twisted slightly.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|