This flavorful baked flounder (or sole) is baked with a seasoned lemon butter. This is a very simple recipe, but it doesn't skimp on flavor. Serve it with the optional garlic aioli (below) or serve the fish with a prepared tartar sauce or pesto.
The recipe can be made with sole, haddock, or another mild white fish. Adjust the baking time if the fillets are quite thick. Serve the fish with baked potatoes or rice and a salad or steamed vegetables.
- 1 1/2 pounds flounder fillets (or sole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons onion (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (as needed)
- Garnish: finely chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish: lemon wedges for serving
- For the Optional Garlic Aioli:
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- Butter a shallow baking dish. Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3).
- Cut the flounder fillets into serving-size portions and arrange the pieces in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the fish with 1 teaspoon of salt and the freshly ground black pepper.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine melted butter, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and minced onion; pour over fish. Sprinkle the fish with paprika.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges and serve with garlic aioli (below), if desired.
- Serve the baked flounder with hot cooked rice or baked potatoes, along with steamed vegetables or a salad.
- Press the garlic into a small bowl and mash well with a fork. Or mash it with a mortar and pestle. Add the mayonnaise, olive oil, and lemon juice, and whisk to blend thoroughly. Season with salt, to taste.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
Fish can quickly become tough and dry if overcooked. If the fillets are very thin, check for doneness after about 10 to 15 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|