|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Haddock is a mild and easy fish to cook, and a big favorite in my family. These baked haddock fillets (or cod) are baked with a simple fresh breadcrumb topping that is flavored with chopped herbs, garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Some heavy cream is drizzled over the haddock fillets for a rich finish.
This delicious baked haddock makes a wonderful everyday meal with potatoes or rice and a side vegetable or salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds haddock or cod fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 3 slices white bread
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, such as chives and dill (chopped)
- 5 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Steps to Make It
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Cut fish fillets into serving-size pieces.
Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Arrange the fish fillets in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a food processor, pulse the bread with Parmesan, garlic, parsley, and herbs.
Transfer the breadcrumbs to a bowl and toss with the melted butter.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the fish. Drizzle cream over all.
Bake the haddock in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- When the fish is done, it should flake easily. To test, insert the tines of a fork into the thickest part of a fillet at a slight angle. Twist the fork slightly to pull up some of the fish. It should flake and look opaque.
- Make breadcrumbs with day-old bread and freeze them. Tear the bread into small pieces and pulse in the food processor to make coarse or fine crumbs. Freeze the crumbs in zip-close bags for up to 6 months. You'll have breadcrumbs for meatloaf, meatballs, and casserole toppings whenever you need them.