Kick your "sandwich" game up a notch with a baked quesadilla. This baked ham and cheese quesadilla is the perfect cross between the perfectly cheesy American grilled ham and cheese sandwich and the quesadilla, a Mexican favorite. These quesadillas are baked rather than fried, so you can go lighter on the oil. You'll love this for a hot lunch or a soup and sandwich dinner kind of night.
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 8 ounces ham (or smoked turkey, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (diced)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for brushing tops
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F.
- Lightly spray a cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Arrange two tortillas on the cookie sheet, then evenly top with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Top the cheese with the sliced ham or turkey, the diced tomatoes, green onion, then the other 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle each with a little pepper, then cover each with another tortilla.
- Brush the tops with vegetable oil and bake in a 425 F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes, until browned.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with mustard or mayonnaise.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|