This fun recipe features homemade focaccia-like bread filled with deli ham, cheese, and sliced tomatoes. and topped with more cheese. It's easy to make, and perfect for entertaining. Cut the sandwich into small squares for appetizers or large squares for a meal. It makes a great breakfast too - the sandwich can rise overnight in the refrigerator to be baked in the morning.
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces deli ham
- 16 ounces sliced cheese (mozzarella, muenster, American, provolone, Monterey Jack...or a combination)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk with the butter and the sugar until the butter is just melted and the milk is warm (but not too hot - less than 110 degrees).
- Pour milk/butter mixture into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk. Let stand for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly foamy.
- Mix on low speed, adding the eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl. stir the salt into the flour. Add 2 cups of the flour mixture and mix until smooth. Add the remaining flour in parts, letting the mixer knead after each addition. Knead dough until it's smooth and stretchy. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour in small amounts. if the dough is too stiff or crumbly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Knead the dough with the dough hook until it's smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover it loosely with a towel and let it rise in until it's doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough in half. Generously grease a half sheet baking pan (13" x 18") with olive oil. Roll out half of the dough into a rectangle about the size of the baking pan. Transfer the dough to the baking pan and press it into the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Layer the sliced cheese and ham over the dough, covering all of the dough Add the sliced tomato as well, if desired.
- Roll out the other half of the dough into a similar rectangle. Place it into the pan, covering the ham and cheese filling completely. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil, then sprinkle the grated cheese and the oregano over the top of the dough.
- Loosely cover the sandwich, and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees about 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake the sandwich for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it is golden brown, puffy, and the cheese is melted.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature. Sandwich can be reheated in the oven (covered loosely with foil)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|