This ham steak is baked with a flavorful homemade barbecue sauce. The sauce takes about 5 to 10 minutes to make, and then the ham slice is baked to perfection in the oven. Serve the ham with baked, mashed, or sweet potatoes. Corn is also an excellent side dish, or serve it with your family's favorite vegetable sides.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed, light or dark
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fully cooked ham slice, about 1-inch thick
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a rimmed baking pan with foil. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Place the ham in the prepared baking pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter; add the chopped onion. Saute the onion until translucent. Add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until hot.
- Pour the sauce over the ham.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of the ham steak, use several slices of leftover ham in the recipe.
- Saute about 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper along with the onion.
- Place the ham in the prepared baking pan and then top the ham with pineapple slices or drained chunks; pour the hot barbecue sauce over the ham and pineapple and bake as directed.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|