These chicken leg quarters are cooked to perfection in the oven with a delicious, fruity barbecue sauce. Pineapple and purchased barbecue sauce are combined to make the easy, flavorful sauce. Serve these tasty chicken legs with rice and your favorite vegetable side dish or a salad. This is an excellent way to use whole chicken legs or leg quarters.
The recipe is easily scaled up for a larger family or a crowd.
Feel free to add crystallized ginger for extra flavor, or use about 1 teaspoon of ginger paste or fresh grated ginger.
- 4-6 chicken leg quarters
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, spicy or mild, your favorite
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced crystallized or candied ginger, optional
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning to brown all sides.
- Arrange the browned chicken in an 11-by-7-inch baking dish (or larger).
- Combine the crushed pineapple and barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
- Combine the flour and cold water in a cup and stir to form a smooth paste. Stir into the barbecue sauce mixture along with the ground ginger and candied ginger, if using.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is very tender and juices run clear.
- Baste with sauce occasionally while the chicken is baking.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||77 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|