This baked macaroni and cheese casserole is easy to make with cheddar cheese and eggs along with milk and butter. There's no separate sauce to make for this version, making cleanup much easier than other versions made with a stovetop cheese sauce. Eggs and milk are whisked together and then combined with the cooked macaroni, butter, and shredded cheese. The eggs give the mixture a soft and creamy texture. Feel free to use a gluten-free macaroni in the recipe.
It's a simple, homey recipe that lends itself to many possible variations. Add crumbled bacon, diced cooked sausage, or diced ham, or change the cheese. Add some Velveeta to the cheddar cheese or use some Monterey Jack cheese. Pepper jack cheese can add some pleasant heat to the casserole And a buttery bread crumb topping makes for a nice crunchy finish.
This easy macaroni and cheese bake takes about 30 minutes to bake, and it serves 4 to 6 people.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked; about 8 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- salt to taste (kosher)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Optional: paprika, for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan or 2-quart casserole.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain well and return the pasta to the pot. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with the milk. Add the milk mixture to the macaroni. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the pasta and cheese mixture into the prepared casserole or baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top. Sprinkle with paprika, if using.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese (uncovered) for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned and casserole is cooked through.
Tips and Variations
- Macaroni and Cheese Casserole With Bacon - Crumble 4 to 6 strips of cooked bacon and add to the macaroni and cheese mixture. Spoon into the baking dish and proceed with the recipe.
- Macaroni and Cheese Casserole With Ham - Add 1 to 2 cups of diced cooked ham to the macaroni and cheese mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking dish and proceed with the recipe.
- Macaroni and Cheese With Chile Peppers - Add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno peppers or add 1 small can of mild chopped green chile peppers.
- Breadcrumb Topping - For a crunchy, browned topping, toss 1 cup of finely shredded fresh breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs over the macaroni and cheese and then bake as directed. Buttered panko crumbs may be used for a crispier topping.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||26 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|