This delicious onion soup is baked and topped with toasted Parmesan bread and Monterey Jack cheese.
- 4 cups onions (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans beef broth (about 14 ounces each)
- 1 can chicken broth (about 14 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sherry (dry)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 8 to 12 small slices French bread
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated; more or less as needed)
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender.
- Add beef and chicken broth to the onions. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about five minutes to blend flavors. Add sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread slices; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Ladle hot soup into four individual ovenproof casseroles. Place two to three slices of toasted bread on top of soup in each. Sprinkle each with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for about 25 minutes, or until soup is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|