This is one of the easiest breakfast recipes to prepare, and it's a dish the whole family will love. The casserole is prepared the night before--all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven! It can easily be served as a dessert as well. Serve with your favorite syrup for a great start to any day or top it with whipped cream for a fabulous ending!
- 12 slices of bread (homemade, Italian, brioche, challah, etc.)
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups raspberries (cleaned and picked over)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish.
- In the prepared baking dish, arrange the bread in layers, cutting in half as necessary for coverage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and milk. Pour over the bread. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Remove the cover from the baking dish and sprinkle raspberries evenly over the soaked bread.
- Combine the butter, flour, and brown sugar; blend with a fork until well combined. Sprinkle evenly over the berry layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and browned. Cut into squares to serve. Pass the syrup!
Make the French toast casserole with blueberries or sliced fresh strawberries.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|