|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||57%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This ravioli bake is an excellent choice for a busy weeknight meal. You only need 5 ingredients, and prep is a breeze. Use a jar of your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce along with a variety of cheeses and store-bought ravioli. Choose a basic cheese ravioli or change it up with spinach and ricotta ravioli, meat or poultry-filled ravioli, or ravioli with a vegetable filling, such as butternut squash, artichoke, or mushroom.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be made with either fresh or frozen ravioli. Refrigerated ravioli is boiled for about 3 to 5 minutes before the casserole is assembled, and it bakes in about 35 minutes. If you choose to use frozen ravioli, you can skip the boiling step, and there's no need to thaw, but it takes about an hour to bake and has to be covered with foil for about half of that time. Either way, you'll have a delicious family meal on the table with minimal effort.
20 ounces refrigerated cheese ravioli (or about 20 to 24 ounces frozen ravioli)
3 1/2 to 4 cups marinara sauce (about 28 to 32 ounces)
1 cup ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided use)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (or fresh chopped parsley)
Gather the ingredients. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 F.
If using fresh refrigerated ravioli, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the ravioli for the minimum time directed on the package. Drain thoroughly. If using frozen ravioli, skip this step.
In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
Spread about 1 cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the ravioli and another 1 cup of marinara sauce.
Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the sauce and top with about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
Top the casserole with the remaining ravioli, mozzarella cheese, and the remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.
Bake the fresh ravioli casserole for 30 to 40 minutes, or until browned and bubbling around the edges.
If using frozen ravioli, cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Remove the ravioli casserole to a rack and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Garnish the baked ravioli with chopped or sliced (chiffonade) basil leaves, if desired.
Serve with extra Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.
What To Serve With Baked Ravioli
How To Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate leftover baked ravioli in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To freeze leftover baked ravioli, transfer it to zip-close freezer bags or airtight containers. Freeze the ravioli for up to 3 months. Defrost the ravioli in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- To reheat, put the ravioli in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake it in a 375 F oven for about 25 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
Do You Need To Boil the Ravioli Before Baking?
Fresh refrigerated ravioli does have to be boiled before it is baked, but it only takes 3 to 4 minutes. If you make it with frozen ravioli (see below) it doesn't have to be boiled, but you will have a longer baking time.
What Are Some Good Substitutes for Mozzarella Cheese?
- Fontina cheese melts well and has a nutty flavor. It's creamy rather than stringy.
- Provolone is similar but slightly stronger in flavor and melts like mozzarella.
- Swiss cheese is sweet and nutty in flavor and melts easily.
Make It Ahead
- Arrange the ravioli layers in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or disposable aluminum baking pan, but do not bake. Cover the pan tightly with foil and freeze it for up to 1 month.
- To bake the ravioli casserole from frozen, preheat the oven to 400 F. Bake the casserole, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for about 10 to 20 minutes longer, or until it is hot and bubbly.
- Meaty Baked Ravioli: Brown about 1/2 to 1 pound of ground beef, Italian sausage, or ground turkey. Combine it with the marinara or pasta sauce and continue with the recipe.
- Baked Ravioli With Mushrooms: Sauté 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup of chopped onions, and 1/2 cup of bell pepper. Add the vegetables to the sauce and proceed with the recipe.
- For a lighter casserole, omit the ricotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese, and decrease the mozzarella cheese to 2 cups.
- For a cheesier ravioli, use 2 cups of ricotta; add half to the first layer and the other half to the top layer. Finish with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.