Baked spaghetti and meatballs is a super easy five-ingredient casserole recipe sure to be a hit with the kids. This is comfort food in its most pure form. The combination of tender pasta, savory and soft meatballs, a lightly seasoned tomato sauce, and salty Parmesan cheese is always welcome, especially on the coldest winter day.
This is a wonderful recipe for busy cooks because it's a one-dish meal. Just saute the onion and cook the pasta until it's almost done, then mix everything together, cover it, and pop it into the oven. In about half an hour, you can serve delicious Spaghetti and Meatballs.
You can use your own homemade meatballs in place of the purchased ones. Just bake them and add to the casserole. If you choose to use whole wheat or whole grain pasta in this recipe, you may need to bake the casserole a bit longer. Just pull out a strand of spaghetti and taste it when you think it's done. The spaghetti should be tender, but still feel slightly firm - that's the definition of al dente.
You could also add more vegetables to this five-ingredient recipe. I would cook some minced garlic, shredded carrots, and chopped celery along with the onion for more taste and nutrition. And remember that the spaghetti sauce you buy can be nutritious too; just look for brands that add more veggies.
Serve this easy recipe with toasted garlic bread and a green salad tossed with fresh veggies. Some iced tea or a glass of red wine would be delicious. And enjoy every bite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pre-cooked meatballs
- 1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 13" x 9" glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook the spaghetti pasta until almost al dente; drain and rinse with hot water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the frozen meatballs; cook and stir for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and stir.
- Pour the water into the spaghetti sauce jar; close jar, and shake vigorously.
- Pour this mixture into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer 4 minutes.
- Stir in the spaghetti pasta.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until the casserole is bubbly.