Here's a spicy, tasty tilapia recipe. This is such an easy dish to prepare and thin tilapia fillets bake quickly. Serve this tilapia with rice or baked potatoes and vegetables or a tossed salad.
If you don't have a prepared Cajun seasoning, make it from scratch. Try an unsalted Cajun or Creole seasoning mix and add salt to the crumbs, to taste.
- 4 to 6 tilapia fillets
- 1 cup soft fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Lightly oil a large shallow baking dish.
- Arrange fish fillets on the prepared baking pan. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter with the bread crumbs and seasonings. Sprinkle the crumbs over the tilapia fillets.
- Bake the fish fillets for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. Fish will be opaque and will flake easily with a fork when done.
- Carefully remove the fillets to plates with a spatula.
- For soft fresh bread crumbs, process stale or day-old bread in the food processor and freeze the crumbs in zip-close freezer bags. You'll have breadcrumbs any time you need them.
- For fine dry crumbs, toast day-old or stale bread in the oven — about 12 to 14 minutes at 325 F — until dried, then process.
- This recipe can be prepared with other types of fish. Try it with haddock, cod, or pollock. For thicker fillets, allow a few extra minutes in the oven.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|