Baked tofu is simple to make and healthy, and it can be used in so many kinds of dishes. Make this baked tofu recipe and serve it with steamed veggies and rice, or turn it into a baked tofu sandwich layered with veggies and spreads, serve it over a salad, or just eat it as it is.
This recipe calls for Chinese-style extra-firm tofu, which is the kind of tofu that you'll find water-packed in a refrigerated section of the grocery store. Silken tofu, the kind that usually comes in 12.3-ounce boxes and can be stored on the shelf or in the fridge, will not work for this recipe. Confused? Read more about the different kinds of tofu.
- 1 pound tofu (Chinese-style extra-firm,
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (reduced-sodium)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil (dark, often referred to as toasted sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (fresh, minced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (white or, alternatively, agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Slice the pressed tofu horizontally into sixteen pieces (each will be about 1/4-inch thick), then slice lengthwise down the middle so that you have about 32 (2-inch) squares. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, and sesame seeds, stirring until well mixed.
- Pour a small amount of this mixture into a casserole dish or baking dish. Place all of the tofu squares into the dish in a single layer, then pour the remaining marinade over the tofu. Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow tofu to marinate for 4 hours or overnight, flipping the tofu once or twice to make sure that it evenly marinates.
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet or baking pan and, using a spatula, transfer the marinated tofu onto the pan, spacing the pieces so that they do not touch one another.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping once half-way through, or until the tofu reaches the desired texture. (The longer you bake the tofu, the firmer, denser, chewier, and crispier it will become; the less you bake it, the softer it will be.)
- Allow tofu to cool for a minute or two in the pan before serving. Serve hot or cold.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|