This is a wonderful recipe to use up leftovers—Thanksgiving or not!
You could also make this delicious sandwich using sliced deli chicken, turkey, or corned beef. The combination of onion, mustard, meat, and cheese on a crisp roll is really delicious. You can use other types of cheese and add vegetables, such as sliced bell peppers or mushrooms. One of the nicest things about sandwiches is that they are so versatile and variable. It's almost impossible to ruin a sandwich and a baked one feels more like a meal than a cold sandwich.
Serve these sandwiches for lunch or dinner any day of the week. The sandwiches can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until it's time to bake. Just don't wrap the foil around the sandwiches too tightly; if you do, the cheese will stick to the foil as it melts and the sandwiches will be difficult to unwrap. If you are baking the sandwiches from the refrigerator, add another 5 to 8 minutes to the baking time.
After the sandwiches are baked, you could add lettuce and tomato. Just lift off the bottom half of the roll and add the cool vegetables, then put the sandwiches back together.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup butter (or mayo, softened)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 8 Kaiser rolls (or ciabatta rolls, split and slightly hollowed out)
- 1 1/2 pounds deli turkey (thinly sliced)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (or Havarti)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small pan, saute onion in olive oil until tender over medium heat. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the butter (or mayo), mustard, onion mixture, and poppy seeds in a small bowl and spread this mixture over the cut sides of the rolls.
- Fill the rolls with turkey and cheese. Make sure you add enough meat and cheese so the sandwiches are nicely filled; remember, you hollowed them out a bit so they can hold more filling.
- Wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for 15 to 25 minutes or until the sandwiches are hot and the cheese is melted.
- Unwrap each sandwich and serve immediately.