|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Selsko Meso is one of those dishes claimed by many Balkan peoples. Macedonians, Serbians, Croatians and others put their own spin on this dish of stewed or grilled meat and peppers. Some add ground beef meatballs to the pork already in the dish. It's hearty food brimming with a trinity of green peppers, onions and tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean pork loin (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large green peppers (coarsely chopped)
- 2 large tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta seasoning powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sweet or hot paprika
Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add pork and saute until no longer pink on the OUTSIDE. Alternatively, the pork and vegetables can be grilled.
Add the onion, green peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms in stages, sauteing a few minutes after each addition.
When the onions are translucent and the tomatoes and mushrooms have exuded their juices, add the Vegeta and water, stirring well.
Add the paprika and cook, stirring frequently, until the flavors have married, about 5 minutes, and the pork is tender and no longer pink on the INSIDE.