This dressing takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, and it makes a fabulous sauce for mixed greens, cucumbers, or a basic tossed salad.
The balsamic vinegar gives the vinaigrette a sweetness, while the mustard adds the spicy, pungent flavor. This is an excellent all-purpose dressing. If you like, add a little dried leaf basil or Italian seasoning to the mixture.
When you dress a salad, use just enough to highlight and flavor. Don't overdress or the salad will be soggy and the ingredients will be overpowered by the dressing.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil*
- 1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar**
- 1 tablespoon good quality Dijon mustard or a favorite gourmet stone ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake until well blended.
- Or, use a whisk or electric blender to combine the ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with salads or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Shake again before pouring.
Makes 1 cup of salad dressing.
*If you need to cut back on the oil, use a good quality wine in place of up to 1/4 cup of the oil.
** A good quality balsamic vinegar will be rather sweet, but if your vinegar is not very sweet, add a little sugar or brown sugar to sweeten the dressing.
Suggested Salad Ingredients
- Favorite salad mix or lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell pepper sticks (or chopped)
- Chopped red or sweet onion
- Sliced radish
- Matchstick carrots
- Sliced celery
- Sliced or diced cucumber
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets
- Pecans or walnuts
- Shredded cheddar or crumbled blue cheese
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|