|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Reminiscent of cheesecake, this rich banana bread recipe uses cream cheese instead of the usual butter or oil, giving it a velvety, melt-in-the-mouth texture. The bananas add to the creaminess, and prepared biscuit baking mix makes it a snap to put together. It's even healthy enough for a convenient breakfast on the go. To give it more of a dessert-like quality, drizzle a powdered sugar glaze on top or serve toasted slices with maple syrup and candied ginger.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese (softened and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas (mashed with a fork, about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups purchased or homemade biscuit baking mix (Bisquick, Pioneer, etc.)
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (chopped, toasted)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed, adding the sugar gradually until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas and vanilla.
Stir in the biscuit mix and nuts until ingredients are just moistened.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly to all four corners.
Bake the banana bread for 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes, then pop the loaf out of the pan and cool it completely on a wire rack.
Serve and enjoy!
- If the top browns too quickly, loosely cover the loaf with aluminum foil for the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking.
- You don't have to toast the nuts, but doing so intensifies their flavor and makes them crisp. Learn how with these easy instructions for toasted nuts.
- You can use this recipe to make 12 standard-size muffins instead of one loaf. Adjust the cooking time to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Banana bread stays fresh stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. It lasts an additional three or four days in the refrigerator, but be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. You can freeze banana bread, tightly wrapped, for up to three months. Make sure the loaf cools completely before you store it.